Saturday 3 January 2015

The Shams "Take Off" 2001***

I just bought this cd and some others from a second hand store for 1 euro per piece. Being a garage music fan I was convinced to buy it by the cover: everything about it screamed "60's" and "garage". And just for this once, it turned out you can judge a book by its cover. This unholy ruckus could very easily have been produced by one of the countless garage bands blasting loud rock'n'roll with tons of attitude back in the 60's.That's exactly what The Shams do, no more and no less, and it's good enough for me. "Rock N' Roll" has singer Zach Gabbard doing his best impersonation of Mick Jagger fronting a very inept, loud and slightly off-key Stones (And I mean that as a compliment). "Scream My Name" is an absolute delight with groovy organ, loud drumming and stinging guitar licks. "I Get High" messes up by incorporating a psychedelic jam. "1/2 Past 12" sees the drums getting some serious pounding. "Me No More" is bluesy with a hint of Jim Morrison and Allen Toussaint's R&B standard "Get Out My Life Woman" gets an aggressive yet groovy reworking with handclaps (and the obligatory organ). "Not Right Now", "In The City" and "Don't Cry to Me" are garage dynamite and "Wolfman" pseudo-blues, sounding actually exactly like the short-lived Sky Saxon Blues Band who were, of course, just The Seeds in disguise. The cd closes with two long live tracks that are a bit too loose for their own good. All in all a good effort, totally devoid of originality unless you count the ill-advised forays into psychedelia. Pink Floyd they are most certainly not. But if you're a garage fan, here you'll find everything you look for in a record: bad Attitude, screaming vocals, primitive drums, cheesy organ and loud slightly-out-of-tune guitars. Close your eyes and it will transport you to a dark and seedy go-go bar at the bad part of town in 1966...
**** for Scream My Name
*** for Rock N' Roll, Not Right Now, 1/2 Past 12, Me No More, Get Out of My Life Woman, In the City, Wolfman, Don't Cry to Me
** for I Get High, Walkaway, Free My Mind, Sleepy Hollow (hidden track).

No comments:

Post a Comment