Saturday 28 March 2015

Cayetano "The Big Fall" 2009**


Arnhem TV & Radio was giving away old CD's, almost for free. Mostly Easy Listening, Hits of the 80's & 90's etc. Among these, this CD by the Greek artist Cayetano (aka Giorgos Bratanis), who was unknown to me. I did buy it, though, on a whim. It turns out I've heard of him before. Back in the late 90's, when his band Stroggylo Kitrino (Round Yellow) was playing some kind of electronic/instrumental music. I think I have some tracks from them in "local scene" compilations of that time. Apparently he left Greece and traveled around for years, staying mostly in Spain and working as a DJ and musician. During that time he picked up the Cayetano name. I'd describe "The Big Fall" as an electronic Lounge album with latin overtones. Opener "Which Color You Like" is a jazzy piece with nice sax, while "Doppelganger" reminded me of Gotan Project with its mix of electronica and latin jazz. The album flows well, songs being mostly instrumental, very cinematic, jazzy trip-hop. There's also some rap and the ethereal Valia provides vocals for "Nothing Left to Do" and "Feel", two of the better tracks. "Another Galaxy" and "Feel" also have a sort of gypsy/manouche vibe. I enjoyed the ambiance and combination of electronic beats and real instruments (acoustic  guitars, saxophones, percussion etc), but it's not really my thing. It does, however, sound like tne ideal musical backdrop for relaxing at the beach - isn't that what's this style of music is supposed to do? 2* for me, but depending on your taste for lounge/electronica it can be 3* or even 4*
*** for Which Color You Like, Doppelganger, Nothing Left to Do, Another Galaxy, The Secret, Feel, Like a Fool, Notre Dame
** for Crossing Line, The Big Fall, Mall Fever, Mall Reprise, Paint My Day (With Black)

No comments:

Post a Comment