Friday 20 March 2015

Constantines "Shine A Light" 2003***


I've had a Constantines T-shirt long before I heard a single note of the group's music. It was a present from a good friend, making a pun with my name (Yes, Kostas is short for Constantine). I liked it well and wore it on occasion. So when I bought "Shine A Light" I was hoping they don't suck for two reasons: firstly, so that I don't regret spending my money on a crappy CD when I could have bought me another beer and, secondly, so that I can go on wearing my T-shirt, proudly. Well, I needn't worry: the Constantines are a great group, if a bit on the brainy side. By brainy I mean it works best if you're familiar with the various undercurrents of rock music past and present and enjoy connecting the dots between them. Reviewers commonly describe the Constantines as a combination of Bruce Springsteen and Fugazi. I mean, everybody knows the Boss but who the hell is Fugazi? (Rhetorical question, I know who they are). But it sounds as if, to really get them, you need to have at least a Bachelor in Indie Rock and have followed several courses in post punk - with good grades! No, I'm not saying their music is difficult, after all it's still rock'n'roll. But neither does it provide the easy stimulation of, say, Oasis or The Ramones. The Constantines are obviously influenced by punk and hardcore, with loud and angular guitars a la Wire and a decidedly funky rhythm section (Think Gang Of Four or Fugazi). But the passionate delivery, epic scope and meaningful lyrics will remind you more of The Clash and, yes, Springsteen and the E-street Band. Another comparison that springs to mind is the Afghan Whigs, those vocals soulful but full of angst similar to Greg Dulli's. Opener "National Hum" is a straight ahead punk/grunge number with aggressive guitars, while "Shine A Light" perfectly utilizes the Pixies' "loud-quiet-loud" trick. Some inspiring lyrics. too: "Don’t talk to me about simple things/There is no such thing/All a man can build is his vision/And I love my man for trying...You shine a light,A light on me/It gets me through". Lead single Nighttime/Anytime (It's Alright) is experimental post punk in defiant mood, going: "It’s hard not to surrender/but I will dance down through the alleyways with one foot in the gutter/Take the city as a sister,the nighttime as a lover/It's hard not to surrender/And lo, I found a world of light in the rabid hands of the night". "Insectivora" has some nice organ and horns and "Young Lions" is the most accessible tune, together with "Only You" inviting those Springsteen comparisons. Both are big tunes with a melodic heart and sprawling guitars and the twin highlights of this CD. "Goodbye Baby & Amen" is a slow song with saxophone and "Poison" reminiscent of current bands like Interpol or the Editors. "Scoundrel Babes" harks back to the time of The Clash and Wire and "Tiger & Crane" with its groovy organ ever further to the psychedelic 60's. "Tank Commander" is full of urgency and soul and "Sub-Domestic" closes the album with some earthy country sounds and harmonica. In the end, for all the self-proclaimed purpose of the band to get their listeners to dance, I found their music a more cerebral pleasure. Which doesn't make it any less enjoyable...
**** for Shine A Light, Nighttime/Anytime (It's Alright),Young Lions, On To You, Tank Commander(Hung Up In A Warehouse Town)
*** for National Hum, Poison, Scoundrel babes, Tiger & Crane, Sub-Domestic
** for Goodbye Baby & Amen




2 comments:

  1. A "good friend"? A "GOOD FRIEND"? Κοτζαμάν la diabolique a good friend. Μάλιστα. Εκεί φτάσαμε.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good friend with a bad temper, obviously...

      Delete