Saturday 27 June 2015

The Candy Skins "Space I'm In" 1991***


My God, the Candy Skins. Let's see... I do remember hearing one of their songs on the radio and thinking it was cool. Then I remember coming across their album in a sale and thinking "it costs next to nothing, let's buy it". I don't remember ever listening to it, but I must have - I give every new album a couple of listens. Re-listening to it now, it doesn't sound bad at all, but rather undistinguished and pretty much of its time: indie pop in thrall to the 60's and bands like the Byrds and Beatles. There was a wave of British bands deriving inspiration from these same sources: You know, you had your Stone Roses, Ride, Teenage Fanclubs and, later on, Oasis - and then you had other bands, similar but less successful. "So Easy" has that baggy sound that was in vogue at the time, while the band's hit "Submarine Song" is a nice jangle rocker and "Black & Blue" is a piece of sunny folk. "Never Will Forget You" has a Big Star/REM vibe and "Freedom Bus" is a fast number that reminds me of The Byrds and Tom Petty. "Without Love" tries to rock, but to me it sounds like a Lenny Kravitz leftover. "She Blew Me Away" was picked up for a single release. Why, I don't know. It's a pleasant but forgettable song. I can't see many people listening to it and then rushing to the stores to buy the album. "Third World Blues" is more of the same and "Not Sad to See You Go" differentiates a bit by including some funky wah-wah guitar. "Get Together" is instantly forgettable and Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" is adorned with a baggy beat, electric guitar solo and what sounds like a Sympathy For The Devil sample - though there's no mention of samples anywhere, so I could be mistaken. In any case, it's a good cover in the sense that, despite being far inferior from the original, it remains interesting by introducing new elements. The album closes with "Space I'm In", another jangly number with a big chorus. Now, I don't want to diss this CD: it's a solid effort, well played and produced, guitars sounding just right - but, frankly, it bored me. Which means that, probably, I am dissing it after all. Then again, if you can't get enough of the Stone Roses, LA's, REM etc. or feel nostalgic for the sound of the late 80's/early 90's then by all means, give it a listen...
**** for Submarine Song, Freedom Bus
*** for Never Will Forget You, She Blew Me Away, Third World Blues, Not Sad to See You Go, For What It's Worth, Space I'm In
** for So Easy, Black & Blue, Without Love, Get Together

No comments:

Post a Comment