Tuesday 22 September 2015

Alice Cooper "Love It To Death" 1971****

Venom Inc at Baroeg Open Air, Rotterdam 19/9/2015

I recently returned from a trip to the Netherlands (for business and pleasure, as they say). By chance it was also the weekend of Baroeg Open Air, Holland's (maybe Europe's also) biggest free heavy rock festival, headlined this year by the mighty Venom. Until now I was only familiar with their fame as "the godfathers of Black Metal". So I had no expectations and was pleasantly surprised by their set: well-played classic heavy metal -not at all unlistenable as I feared- and solid showmanship. Nice guys, too - for "satanists", that is. I don't own any of their records to present here, but came back itching to write about heavy metal. Then I realized I didn't take any metal CD's with me when I moved to Brussels and left most of my collection behind. The closest I've got is this triple-CD collection of vintage Alice Cooper I bought from an electronics chain store, containing "Love It To Death", "Killers" & "School's Out".
As it invariably happens, the shop had filed Alice Cooper at C. Will they ever learn that they're a group and that there's no-one with the name Cooper, Alice? Strike that, there probably is a person named Alice Cooper somewhere that curses the band for dragging her name through the mud - but she is otherwise unconnected to the group. It's true that, as years went by, the public began to identify singer Vincent Furnier with a character called Alice Cooper, but in 1971 that was yet to happen. The band had released a couple of commercial flops under the tutelage of Frank Zappa and made a last attempt for success with young Bob Ezrin as producer. He kept the humour and craziness of their early songs but sensibly steered the music away from freaky psychedelia towards glam and hard rock. Helped by the inclusion of the ultimate teen anthem "I'm 18", the record was a resounding success that propelled the band to a world of notorious onstage antics and backstage excess. The album opens with excellent boogie rocker "Caught in a Dream" and then, after a short harmonica intro, come the immortal lines describing teenage alienation in a few simple words "Lines form on my face and hands/Lines form from the ups and downs/I'm in the middle without any plans/I'm a boy and I'm a man/I'm eighteen/And I don't know what I want...I'm eighteen and I like it!". Kudos also to guitarists Glen Buxton and Michael Bruce, hitting all the right notes without hijacking the song as it so often happens in heavy metal. "Long Way to Go" is a fast Yardbirds-style garage rocker and "Black Juju" is...filler? Many tend to think so, because of its length. It's certainly a loose and semi-improvised 9 minutes of psychedelia, dominated by tribal drumming and creepy organ. Early Pink Floyd and Doors seem to be musical influences, while the lyrics draw on classic horror films as Alice would increasingly do in the future. Onstage it would be the highlight of his show, featuring a theatrical mock-execution on a prop electric chair. "Is It My Body?" is one of the harder rocking songs here, with funky bass and sexual lyrics, although it eschews macho chest beating by adding that insecure question mark. "Hallowed Be My Name" has a garagey 60's feel and touches on the theme of religion and hell "You're fighting to go up 'cause you're on your way down/ cursing their lovers/ cursing the bible", similarly to the theatrical "Second Coming" "I only know hell is getting hotter/ the devil's getting smarter all the time". The latter song starts off ballad-like with a bit of piano, gradually attaining a pounding military rhythm for a while and segueing into "Ballad of Dwight Fry", another piece of rock theatre about madness which Alice performs to this day tied up in a straightjacket. Closer "Sun Arise" is an upbeat pop number, probably aiming to dispel the darkness and end the album on a hopeful note. There is no denying that, lyrically at least, "Love It To Death" is as much a part of heavy metal's DNA as Black Sabbath's debut or Deep Purple's "In Rock". Without them, there probably wouldn't have been any Judas Priest, Iron Maiden... or Venom.
***** for I'm Eighteen, Is It My Body
**** for Caught in a Dream, Long Way to Go, Black Juju, Second Coming
*** for Hallowed Be My Name,Ballad of Dwight Fry, Sun Arise

No comments:

Post a Comment