Tuesday 20 October 2015

Van Morrison "Too Late to Stop Now" 1974*****

I've had this LP for years now and it's even survived the great vinyl purge and accompanied me to the Netherlands. But, finding a cheap CD copy, I bought it for the second time so that I can still listen to it even though I'm parted from my record player. So I guess I must like it a lot, mustn't I? Well it's Van the Man fronting a great band, and have you seen the tracklist? Incidentally Van is one of few of my favorite artists whom I haven't yet seen in a full concert. 15 years ago I won in a radio contest a free pass for his concert in the Athens Olympic stadium. And what did he do? He freaking went and cancelled the gig. And I didn't even get a refund! That's why people don't like you Van, they like your songs but not you! Just joking, of course - it was disappointing obviously but at least I have seen Van perform once, even if it was for a few minutes. It was in '89 during a Bob Dylan concert. He just came  unannounced onstage and sang a few tunes and let me tell you it was the highlight of the night. No offence to Bob, he's probably the world's best songwriter but as a singer he's no Van. This double live album was recorded in 1974 and has a fantastic mix of R&B covers and originals, Celtic folk and even a couple of Them tunes. He's backed by the so-called Caledonia Soul Orchestra which included his regular band augmented by carefully arranged horns and strings. The album is recorded 100% live with minimal post production and no studio overdubs, while all performances are energetic, soulful, well-played and innovatively arranged so as to offer different but equally good versions to the familiar studio recordings. The album opens with a cover of Bobby "Blue" Bland's "Ain't Nothin' You Can Do". Van alternates between a soft croon and powerful blues shout, with a backing of jazzy guitar and piano and occasional loud horns. It was released as the album's lead single backed with "Wild Children", originally a track from "Hard Nose the Highway". The live version is really superb, with a mystical celtic jazz flavor thanks to great use of the string quartet. "Warm Love", originally from the same album, is somewhat more upbeat with an engaging soulful performance by Van. Moondance tracks "Into The Mystic" and "These Dreams Of You" also shine, the former beautifully adorned with sweeping strings and the latter displaying a playful swing. That album's uplifting highlight "Caravan" is presented in an extended 10-minute version that gives Morrison the chance to present his band. "I Believe To My Soul" is the first of two Sam Cooke numbers. Great bluesy performance by singer and the band. "Bring It On Home To Me" is just as good at the vocal department but the simple piano backing is underwhelming. Two upbeat numbers from "His Band and the Street Choir" follow, both noticeably faster and funkier from their studio counterparts: "I've Been Working" and "Domino", especially the former impressing with its energetic James Brown-style performance. Even more impressive is the use of strings on Muddy Waters' "I Just Want To Make Love To You". It shouldn't work, but it does. Great slide guitar in this one, too! Ditto for Sonny Boy Williamson's "Help Me", which gets the soul treatment, including a Green Onions-style organ groove. Another Sonny Boy oldie "Take Your Hands Out Of My Pocket" is light and jazzy when the lyric asks for a tougher delivery. "Saint Dominic's Preview" is represented by the title track and "Listen To The Lion" in resplendent new arrangements. Two songs from his Them days follow, the pop soul classic "Here Comes The Night" invigorated by the strings and that old garageband favorite "Gloria" in hi-energy soul mode. The album closes with an astonishing 10-minute version" of Astral Weeks' "Cyprus Avenue". About the only drawback from this album is that it doesn't contain more songs from "Astral Weeks". I'd like to hear that band tackle more songs from one of my all-time favorite records but that's a minor quibble for an album that justifiably regularly finds itself in the lists of all-time greatest live albums.
***** for Into The Mystic, These Dreams Of You, I Believe To My Soul, Wild Children, I Just Want To Make Love To You, Cyprus Avenue
**** for Ain't Nothin' You Can Do, Warm Love, I've Been Working, Help Me, Listen To The Lion, Here Comes The Night, Gloria, Caravan 
*** for Domino, Bring It On Home To Me, Saint Dominic's Preview,  Take Your Hands Out Of My Pocket

No comments:

Post a Comment