Tuesday 27 September 2016

Various "Mojo Presents... Return to the Star Club" 1930-1961(orig) 2016(comp)***

I don't often present premium CD's given away with magazines, though I feel I can make an exception for Mojo. Their CD's are carefully compiled and, rather than functioning as samplers for the new circulations reviewed inside, work as stand-alone compilations with a central theme. The latest issue was dedicated to The Beatles' early live days as a touring group, and the accompanying CD contains original versions of the songs they played during their historic residence at the Star Club in Hamburg, West Germany. Not so original an idea for a giveaway CD, as magazines often resort to golden oldies that just happen to have lapsed into public domain and are therefore copyright-free. Thankfully the compilers were still able to dig out some interesting rarities, like The Top Notes' "Twist And Shout" - The Isley Brothersversion is the one everyone (including The Beatles) knows and loves, but it's nice to hear this rare original.

The compilation features some great rockabilly, R&B and doo-wop, ranging from the routine famous ones (Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, Platters etc) to the should-have-been-more-famous (The Olympics, Eddie Fontaine, Dr. Feelgood And The Interns). The oldest song is Marlene Dietrich's "Falling In Love Again" (the English version of her song from the classic 1930 Blue Angel movie). But the one that surprised and delighted me enough to make me present this CD was the original version of ballad "A Taste Of Honey" from the same-named Broadway play. I've heard the Beatles' version hundreds of times and never in a million years would I have guessed they learned it from Billy Dee Williams - Yes, that's right! The Beatles have covered a song by Star Wars' Lando CalrissianI'm so excited I'm now going to walk to my DVD player and watch The Empire Strikes Back for the 25th time!
***** for Roll Over Beethoven (Chuck Berry), Be-Bop-A-Lula (Gene Vincent), Nothin' Shakin' (Eddie Fontaine), Hallelujah I Love Her So (Ray Charles), 
**** for Twist And Shout (The Top Notes), Shimmy Like Kate (The Olympics), Reminiscing (Buddy Holly), Red Sails In The Sunset (The Platters), Mister Moonlight (Dr. Feelgood And The Interns), Your Feet's Too Big (The Ink Spots), A Taste Of Honey (Billy Dee Williams), Falling In Love Again (Marlene Dietrich)
*** for Red Hot (Billy "The Kid" Emerson), Lend Me Your Comb (Carl Perkins), I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Roy Hamilton)


P.S. Didn't I tell you it's not such an original idea for a cover CD? After writing my review I went to file the CD with the other promos and guess what I found? Uncut magazine, a few years ago: same theme, same cover, many of the same tracks. No Lando Carlissian, though. You've got to hand it to Mojo: Even with a banal main theme, they dig deep enough to emerge with something original and surprising... 

No comments:

Post a Comment