Friday 24 November 2017

Uncut's albums of the year 2017

I always look forward to end-of-the-year lists, buying all the relative magazines and going through their highlights-of-the-year sampler CD's, even for a period compiling my own mix CD's to distribute among friends. So I was quite happy this morning to find the new Uncut with the years' review at the train station just before my 2-hour ride to work. I'm now in the middle of it, and I felt like sharing my surprise that, for the first time, not only do I not own a single album of this year's "75 Best", but nothing even piques my interest. I mean, I know I may like the new National or Robert Plant, but was I looking forward to another album by them? Not really. Even less so the reunion albums by Ride and Slowdive. They used to be OK in the 90's, but has anyone actually missed them? As for this year's No.1, LCD Soundsystem? They managed to reform before anyone even noticed they had retired. I'll take Uncut's masterpiece-izing of the album with a grain of salt. At least there's The Boss on the cover stating he "has never done an honest day's work" in his life. Coming from the man who sheds buckets of sweat at every gig, this sets a pretty high standard for the rest of us. Anyway, I'll listen to the CD when I get home and hopefully will hear something to be excited about....

No comments:

Post a Comment