Thursday 27 October 2022

Gli Avvoltoi "Il Nostro e Solo Un Mondo Beat" 1988 (orig) 2007 (comp)****

I recently visited Rome for the second time, finding also time to visit many of the record shops that evaded me during my first visit (you can read my report on them here). One of those was Radiation Records in Monti, where I bought this CD. I was determined to get some Italian beat music, and this is the one that caught my attention. In the beginning I was a bit hesitant, because I already had the band's second album Quando Verrà Il Giorno which I had found rather unremarkable. But I was convinced by the prospect of hearing Italian language versions of 60's favorites like Paint It Black, Gloria, Hey Joe and others. I wasn't disappointed: all the covers are nice, and sometimes offer other interesting variations, besides the language e.g. the slower tempo of "Hey Joe" or the flute/sitar combination in "Tutto Nero/Paint It Black". Next to the 10 songs of the original album, this CD adds a number of bonus tracks from contemporary singles, EPs and compilations. These include Sonics cover "Ora Sai Perché/The Witch" and a version of The Kinks' Well Respected Man called "Un Uomo Rispettabile". I like how they don't just translate the words but also the cultural references: this "well respected man" takes brioche and cappuccino instead of tea. I was also able to recognize two Italian beat covers: "Era Un Beatnick" (by Le Teste Dure) and "L'Abito Non Fa Il Beatnik" (by Evi, presented here). There may be more covers here: the (gatefold) CD cover doesn't contain information as to the composers of the songs, but many sound familiar, especially the wild garage rockers like "Questa Notte", "Non Voglio Pietà" and "15° Frustata". Then again, there are a couple of more melodic songs: "Giardino Dei Fiori" is a waltz-like psychedelic pop reminiscent of early Le Orme, and "Tu Lo Sai" kicks off with proggy flute to continue with organ-dominated R&B. "È Tornato Fra Di Noi" is another atmospheric mid-tempo tune. The first two songs of the album constitute the band's introduction to us, but I managed to leave them for last: "Il Nostro È Solo Un Mondo Beat" is groovy pop rock with organ, "Gli Avvoltoi Sono Qua" sounds more like British Beat groups of the 60's. And, seeing as I seem to be doing everything upside-down today, let me add some biographical details on the group, as an epilogue: apparently they formed in Bologna in 1985, and were offered a recording contract by Contempo Records after a legendary live show in '87. Their debut ...Mondo Beat was well-received, leading to many gigs around Italy, and even TV performances. Nevertheless, the original band soon imploded. They continued going with different lineups, featuring singer Moreno Lambertini as the only constant. Of their other endeavours, the only one I've listened to second LP Quando Verrà Il Giorno. As I remember it, it is mostly retro-flavored melodic pop-rock. Not bad, but also not to my taste, while the debut is full of Farfisa-led garage rock, exactly my cup of tea - or should I say cappuccino?
**** for Il Nostro È Solo Un Mondo Beat, Tutto Nero, Questa Notte, Questa Notte (version 2), Un Uomo Rispettabile, L'Abito Non Fa Il Beatnik
*** for Gli Avvoltoi Sono Qua, Giardino Dei Fiori, Tu Lo Sai, Gloria, È Tornato Fra Di Noi, Hey Joe, Farfisa, Era Un Beatnick, Ora Sai Perché, 15° Frustata, Non Voglio Pietà, Giardino Dei Fiori (version 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment