Monday 12 December 2022

Deuter "Cicada" 1982***


OK, so this isn't the kind of album one usually finds in my collection: alphabetically it sits between Greek punk rockers Deus X Machina and German industrial punks Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft, both of whom are the antithesis of Deuter's introspective melodies. I brought it back from the neighborhood record shop, because it was in the bargain bin and I remembered coming across the composer's name in the progarchives website. That was somewhat misleading, as this album isn't even remotely connected to progressive rock - which is not to say that it's without its charms. Having bought it in the pre-Christmas period, I found it puts me into holiday mood, especially the serene but joyful opener "From Here To Here" and the slightly sprightlier "From Here To Here (reprise)". The composer though seems to have other religious interests: German-born Georg Deuter moved as a young man to India, changing his first name to Chaitanya Hari after a Hindustani saint, and living in an ashram, which is the local equivalent of a monastery. Nevertheless his music doesn't sound like other Indian albums in my collection (I have some Ravi Shankar, a little Bollywood etc). It sounds more like the kind of meditation CD's one hears play as a musical background at yoga/reiki centers, albeit with better musicianship than most. Kudos for that to Deuter, who plays all the instruments himself. The most prominent sound here is that of the flute, backed by discrete synthesizers, gentle acoustic guitar, a little sitar, bells, etc. Deuter's synths also imitate birdsong, most notably on the title track, while some other nature sounds (splashing waves, rustling leaves) may or may not be sampled. It's warm and soothing music, a bit too sweet and placid for my taste to tell the truth. My interest is sometimes piqued when the synthesizers come to the fore, as in the longer tracks "Light" and "Alchemy" which remind me of Vangelis similarly blending electronic music with acoustic instruments and oriental themes in his China LP. Other than that, it slips into the background, which is I guess the intended function of ambient music. Another notable piece is the bucolic "Haiku", if only for featuring the only guest musician, Deva Renu on harp. All in all, this may well be a prominent work in the field of spiritual/new age music. I would probably recommend it to someone looking for some nice background music for relaxation and meditation, but it's definitely not my cup of tea. 

**** for From Here To Here, Light, From Here To Here (Reprise)

*** for Sun On My Face, Sky Beyond Clouds, Haiku, Alchemy

** for Cicada, Between Two Breaths

No comments:

Post a Comment