Thursday 27 April 2023

Trinity "El Cumbanchero b/w Wild Cat" 1973***

So, I took another LP out to place on my turntable, and lo and behold a 7' single fell out the supposedly empty sleeve. I hadn't noticed its existence when I bought that used record from my neighborhood record store, a few weeks ago. And it's not one of those cases where the album comes with a bonus 7', either. The previous owner must have lost the original sleeve and just stuck the single inside another record. Curious to hear what I got, I placed it on the turntable mat, lowered my stylus, and... imagine my surprise to hear a couple simulating sex while a band played a frenzied percussion-led latin funk rhythm on the background. That was apparently Side Two, called "Wild Cat". I turned it then over for Side One, which is another upbeat Latin instrumental; a cover of Rafael Hernández' Latin/dance classic "El Cumbanchero" with various electric guitar effects. The single came out on 1973 on the Dutch Pink Elephant label, which released a lot of Beat/R&B singles - most notably by Shocking Blue of "Venus" fame. It's attributed to Trinity, a possibly non-existent group with no other releases in its name. The only other credits are for Jürgen Koppers (engineer) and Peter Joosten (producer). Very danceable little single, I can imagine it being rather popular with DJ's at the Amsterdam nightclubs of the time. And -now that I think of it- unearthed just in time to celebrate its 50-year anniversary. What a nice coincidence! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment