Monday 30 October 2023

Têtes raides "Gratte Poil" 1999***

I can't remember when, where, or why I bought this CD. It must have been during one of my visits to Paris, or maybe Brussels but way before my Belgian sojourn circa 2015-16. But why? I am not familiar with this band in any way. The CD may have been playing at a record shop I visited at the time, or else it must have been displayed at one of the shop's listening stations and I decided to give it a listen. Anyway, here it is; one of relatively few Francophone albums in my collection. I think I can adequately describe it in a few words as a mix of indie rock and chanson - Jacques Brel in particular, both because of singer Christian Olivier's phrasing, and because of the orchestrations. The latter are quite full, featuring a lot of accordion, violin, and horns. The music is closer to traditional styles like waltz and bal musette than contemporary rock, even though the fact that Têtes Raides started as a post-punk band is sometimes evident. The tunes are mostly quite upbeat and playful, and sometimes too childlike for their own good - songs like "Chapeau" immediately reminded me of that old nursery rhyme "Frère Jacques" - and that's not a good thing. "Bibliothèque" is another kids' tune, which for some reason is cut up in four pieces and scattered throughout the album. Despite a certain feeling of sameness, there are some brilliant moments that really stick out, especially "Le cabaret des nues" (featuring Yann Tiersen of Amelie fame), "Dépèche toi" and noisy rocker "L'iditenté", a collaboration with French band Noir Desir with the two singers sharing the lead vocal. Other highlights are the Brel-like "Je chante", "Les choses" and "C'est dimanche". As for the lyrics, my French isn't good enough to judge adequately but they struck me as playful and original. In the end, the quirky Frenchness, joyful vibes and cute details (barking doggies in "Ennemis", little kiddie choirs in "Patalo") win one over; but I must admit that, taken as a whole, Gratte Poil can be a bit tiresome.

**** for Je chante, Les poupées, C'est dimanche, Dépèche toi, L'iditenté, Le cabaret des nues, Patalo

*** for Les choses, Bibliothèque II, KO, OK, Ennemis, Le gratte poil, Dans la gueule

** for Bibliothèque I, Chapeau, Bibliothèque III, Bibliothèque IV, Urgence

No comments:

Post a Comment