Sunday 9 September 2018

Violent Femmes "We Can Do Anything" 2016***

Just like the previous couple years, September finds me at my favourite vacation spot, Antiparos island. I've written about it before, and even included some tips for visitors. There is a multitude of islands in Greece, all of them interesting and each with its own distinct character. I'm always trying to visit a new one every summer but there's also something soothing about visiting a beloved old haunt. I was disappointed to find that the open air cinema hasn't opened this year, but other than that everything was as I left it. I know by now in which beach to swim in the morning, in the afternoon or on a windy day, and which dish is the best in each tavern. I'm told it was extremely crowded during July and early August, even now at the end of the touristic season it's far busier than it was a few years ago - what was once a quiet fishing village is now a popular tourist destination, an international jet-set attraction even. Someone like Tom Hanks or Mick Jagger will cause a few heads to turn but that's about it, the locals have gotten used to celebrities. Yesterday there was an open invitation to join a big party/film shooting at a beach bar. Of course we went along, and it was fun to dance and drink while acting as an (unpaid) film extra. I'm really looking forward to the release of the movie - a romantic feelgood flick, judging by what I witnessed. I searched my rapidly dwindling drafts folder for a suitably party-like record to present in the aftermath, and came up with the latest Violent Femmes  - a bit more "alternative" than yesterday's music, but good fun nevertheless.
I own a dozen of V.F. albums, almost their complete output. Not because they're consistently great, but because since I was a teenager I've always had fun dancing to their early records at parties, clubs or in my room. Most of all for their concerts, never short of energy of good vibes. I saw them a few times in Athens during the 90's and 00's but the one I remember most vividly was in Lycabettus ('94 I think) with singer Gordon Gano speaking Greek (apparently he had recently spent some time vacationing and picked up enough to make conversation) and getting a great response from the crowd. At some point he said "Oh, vrehi (Oh no it's raining)" and then corrected himself "Ohi, psihalizei (no, it's drizzling)" at which point the theater shook with laughter and applause. I also remember the bassist (Brian Ritchie) playing rather good Greek bouzouki on a couple of songs, and the drummer (Victor De Lorenzo) always playing standing up. I went to one of their concerts with a metalhead friend of mine who liked the band's energy and he couldn't believe that all this ruckus was just acoustic guitar, bass and a tiny drum set hit by an upright drummer. De Lorenzo is regretfully absent in this, their latest and first post-reunion LP, but that doesn't seem to influence their sound much. If anything, it is the closest they've sounded to their historic debut for some time: basic rock'n'roll with folk/country overtones, earnest wide-eyed singing and kooky lyrics. Opener "Memory" is as typical Femmes as it gets, with its loud acoustic bass, simple upbeat melody, and funny, deceptively silly, text. It's followed by probably their most idiosyncratic song here "I Could Be Anything", a polka/country story right out of the Shrek universe, about an underdog turned dragon-slaying hero"Holy Ghost" is a glam folk/gospel hybrid, "What You Really Mean" a heartfelt ballad, and "Issues" a hilarious take on an all-too-common relationship problem: the guy loves his girlfriend but can't stand her constant ranting. From the doo-wop-ish "Untrue Love" to country-ish "I'm Not Done", 60's teenage pop with a dark lyrical twist of "Big Car" and beyond, everything is true-to-form Violent Femmes, so if you're a fan you won't be disappointed. If, however, you're not already a fan this isn't the place to start: anything up to (and including) 1991's American Music is prime Femmes, everything else has its moments but is ultimately inessential. P.S. the cover features a drawing of the band by fellow musician Kevin Hearn. Everybody else is recognisable but he drew Gano a bit yellower than he is... with longer neck and spots on his back... not a good likeness, really, he looks more like a spotty humpless camel. 
**** for Memory, Holy Ghost
*** for I Could Be AnythingIssuesWhat You Really MeanUntrue LoveBig Car
** for FoothillsTravelling Solves EverythingI'm Not Done

No comments:

Post a Comment