Thursday 12 September 2024

Rolling Blackouts C.F. "Sideways to New Italy" 2020****

In an abandoned review from 4 years ago, I wrote that "Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever is, along with Fontaines D.C., the new groups that made the biggest impression with me in 2019". Since then, I've followed them both more closely than any other recent band, even buying all their records (well, except Fontaine's latest, which only came out a few weeks ago). And that's something I almost never do, I'm much too preoccupied with researching ancient rock'n'roll history and filling old gaps in my record collection. I'll return to Fontaines D.C. later, probably after I've caught them live in November. Time then to re-write that abandoned RBCF review: With hindsight, it seems that they were never destined for rock stardom: three albums in, they still churn out tasteful indie-pop full of jangly guitars, tuneful harmonies, and catchy choruses, but they have failed to progress and to surpass their antipodean antecedents like The Go Betweens or The Chills. One thing that gives RBCF the upper hand to most indie bands of the past, is that they have the luxury of featuring three singer/songwriter/guitarists; as a result there's an abundance of guitars, yet the music is never cluttered, and certainly not heavy. Right now I'm re-listening the album on my mobile (initially I grabbed it on vinyl when it first came out), meaning that I can't see who wrote or sings lead on each track. I can't really say that individual tracks stick out as the work of different persons; to me it sounds as homogenized as any album from a single artist. Highlights include upbeat "She's There" and "Cars in Space" as well the two other, slightly slower, singles "Falling Thunder" and "Cameo", and the more new-wavey and danceable, Cure-like "The Only One". All in all, a very sunny indie pop album, with the guitars providing just a touch of post punk edge. Perfect for a summer afternoon like today - it may be mid-September but it's still summer here in Antiparos island, Greece, where I am right now. “Sunglasses At the Wedding” is the only slow and introspective -autumnal, if you like-  track of the LP. By no means the only romantic song here, though: despite its upbeat rhythm and sunny disposition, this sounds like a very romantic album - and I say this without really delving into the lyrics, just the impression I get from repeated listening. Or maybe that's just the nostalgia effect it has on me because it takes me back to my teenage years in the late 80s. If you too grew up with The Go Betweens, Smiths, and early REM -or just plainly love melodic folk rock with a post punk edge- you should definitely listen to this album. You'll love it.

**** for The Second of the First, Falling Thunder, She's There, The Only One, Cars in Space, Cameo

*** for Beautiful Stevent, Not Tonight, Sunglasses at the Wedding, The Cool Change

No comments:

Post a Comment